to Give a Tag Sale
free to print this page)
- An important point is to have a lot of "stuff"
will drive right by a sale with just a few items - unless it's a neighborhood
event where almost everyone on the block puts stuff out
- If possible,
get friends, relatives, neighbors to share with you
- Go to an office supply
store and buy enough packages of colored dots that each family has their own color
weeks or months before the sale start putting prices on EVERYTHING. You want to
be able to simply take in the money - you don't want to have to decide on prices
off the cuff
- As a price guide, think "What would I pay for this item?"
with a zillion 25¢ items will make a huge profit!
tag sale ads in your local paper. Each locale is different
- Clean items
as you price them. True tag salers realize these things are (mostly) used, but
real dirt will turn them off
with the newspaper as to the best time day and time for the ad to appear
the Springfield, MA area, place your ad in the Thursday-Saturday papers. Some
people only subscribe to the Thursday paper
- Don't waste words
- don't say "Tag Sale" - if your ad is in the paper, people know what
- Set the time for an hour EARLIER than the typical sale in your area.
If most start at 8am, start yours at 7
- DON'T SAY "NO EARLY BIRDS"
- They will show up and they will be frustrated
- OR they will skip
your sale entirely
- So what if someone shows up at 6am - your stuff is
all priced and true tag salers will dig through boxes.
ADVERTISE THE SALE IN THIS WEEK'S PAPER FOR NEXT WEEKEND. No one who tries to
find your sale on this Saturday will be back!
- Set up everything on tables, etc. Make it as
attractive as possible. Big items can go on the ground - but be sure they show
to their best advantage
- Set up a table and cash box for your cashier
an eye on it at all times - most people are honest, but you just need one bad
- If this is a multiple family sale, make sure that everyone
has a name tag with their colored dot on it
- If someone wants to haggle
(and that's part of tag saleing), tell them (for instance) "Go see Barbara
- Provide a notebook for the cashier with colums labeled
with the dot colors and the name.
- All the cash goes into the box and is
divied up later. Probably the cashier should be the most obsessive-compulsive
person in the group
- DO NOT try to sell an item by
telling people how much you paid for it. No one cares - after all it's out here
in the sale and you're trying to get rid of it.
- Also, DO NOT try any kind
of sales pitch - most are turned off and will leave quickly
- Don't ignore
people, but a friendly "Good morning" and a smile is all it takes -
let them browse alone
- DO allow haggling. You don't have to have
a sign saying "Prices can be reduced" or some such thing. Everyone who
tag sales knows that's part of the game
- If you're not comfortable, appoint
someone to be your official haggler
- Buy several brightly colored sheets of "foam core"
at an office supply store (yellow is good)
- and the fattest black marker
- Research your area and decide where you'll put the signs and
what kind of attachment is needed (nails, wire, whatever)
- You only need
two words: TAG SALE and an arrow
- Use the whole piece of the foam core
there's an intersection or if you live on a long road, put up half sheets with
the words and arrow, just so people know they're on the right track
sure the arrow points the right direction
- Have some big nails and some
wire so that you can put signs on telephone poles and road signs (check with your
town hall if you're not sure if they're allowed on poles)
- Designate a
(trusted) person to staff the sale while you put the signs up a few minutes before
your opening time (apparently the signs contain electronic beacons - as soon as
they're up, people start arriving)
- If you have, or can borrow, a wooden
step ladder, staple signs on both sides and put it out by the street.